Mar 16, 2012

Magic Truffles


















No they're not magic because these are going to disappear once you taste them, although I could totally see that happening too.  They're 'magic' because the main ingredient in these bad-boys is a batch of Seven Layer Magic Cookie Bars (tweaked slightly).

The idea for these truffles came to my sugar-pumped brain when I was reading a recipe for cake pops.  If you're not familiar with cake pops, check out Bakerella's website as it seems she is becoming the cake-pop-master-ella.

Basically a cake pop is cake - any cake, baked, then crumbled.  Add frosting to the crumbled cake, mix till gooey and delicious, then form into balls.  Insert a stick into the ball, dip in chocolate and decorate.  Genius and delicious.

I was thinking about trying out a batch but I remembered that I had toffee bits and a can of sweetened condensed milk in the pantry just calling my name.  Those two are just asking to be made into Seven Layer Magic Bars.

Although Magic Bars are one of my go-to recipes this time around I wanted to do something a bit more calorie-licious.  I just made that up...I mean the whole point of this blog is about experimentation, so let's take things to the next level and get fatty together.

So after being inspired by the cake pops, I decided I would crumble up an entire batch of Magic bars and combine them with toffee frosting (which is now my favorite frosting ever, besides Sam's Club butter cream.  I know I can't believe I am admitting that).  Then I rolled the mixture into balls and coating with melted chocolate.  No stick required.  They are faster to eat without the stick anyway.


Magic Truffles
*for a printable version click here

For the Magic Bars:

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (I used digestives, both work equally the same)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups chocolate chips (milk or semi-sweet, your preference)
3/4 cup Heath Toffee Bits, and additional for garnish (1 bag is enough for the recipe, I had extra left over)
1 1/3 cup flaked coconut (sweetened kind is okay)

For the Toffee Frosting:

Ingredients
4 oz. unsalted butter
6 oz. light brown soft sugar
4 fl oz. evaporated milk
1/8 teaspoon salt
12 oz. icing sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

For the chocolate coating:

Ingredients
2 cups chocolate chips (milk or semi-sweet, your preference)
2 tablespoons PLUS 2 teaspoons vegetable shortening (do NOT use butter!)


Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheits (325 if you're using a glass baking dish).  In a small bowl, combine crumbs with butter and mix well.  Press crumb mixture firmly into the bottom of a 13x9 inch baking pan.


Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumb mixture. 


Sprinkle toffee bits on top.




Then sprinkle the chocolate chips.


And then the coconut.


Using a fork, firmly press down so everyone gets cozy.


Bake for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool completely on wire rack.


Once totally cooled, cut up ENTIRE batch and place in a bowl. 


Okay this next step is going to break your heart at first (especially for me since I didn't know whether or not this recipe was going to work, but trust me it's SO worth it once they're done).  Using your fingers, crumble up squares into a messy, sticky, but holy-crap-that's-good mess and set aside.


To prepare the frosting, heat the butter, brown sugar, evaporated milk, and salt together in a pan until boiling.



Simmer for four to five minutes, stirring regularly to let thicken.


Add icing sugar and vanilla extract to the bowl of a stand-up mixer.  Pour butter mixture into mixing bowl with the sugar and beat with a whisk attachment until combined and fluffy...start out on low speed so you don't get sugar everywhere - poof!

Add frosting to the bowl of crumbled up magic bars and mix just to combine, don't over mix.



Form mixture into balls and refrigerate to firm up, about 30 minutes.


Line cookie sheet with waxed paper (this is to place the balls on after you coat them with chocolate).

To prepare the chocolate coating, add chocolate and shortening to the bowl of a double broiler. Stir constantly with heat-safe rubber spatula until smooth and no lumps remain.  Using a fork, dip rolled balls into chocolate and coat evenly.  Gently tap fork on the side of the bowl to help shake off excess chocolate.


Invert chocolate dipped truffle on cookie sheet lined with the waxed paper.  Use the bottom of the fork to smooth out any lines.


Sprinkle with extra toffee bits.  I also toasted some additional coconut and sprinkled that on too.


Let sit for about two hours for the chocolate to firm up.  I found these taste best if refrigerated.


Enjoy!!!

Magic Bars recipe adapted from Eagle Brand

Toffee Frosting recipe courtesy of More Cake Please

Chocolate Coating recipe courtesy of Hershey's

2 comments:

  1. oh. my. goodness. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are soooo unique and so very very good. What a fantastically creative way to use cookie dough. These are more candy than cookie! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete