When Zespri approached me to take part in their 14 Day Challenge, I couldn't have said yes any quicker. Firstly, Zespri kiwi's may technically be fruit, but for me, I might as well be eating candy. They are sweet, tangy, and always ripe to perfection. Secondly, hello! They are darn good for you too. And when does that ever happen? Something that is natural, tastes like dessert, AND healthy? Oh sign me up Zespri.
So here's how it works. Now pay attention because there is still time for you to sign up too (the challenge runs until the end of October). Head over to the Zespri Arabia Facebook page and register to take part in the14 Day Challenge. You must eat two kiwi per day for 14 days and simply complete a short questionnaire about your experience and the end of the two weeks. And what's in it for you? You'll be automatically entered into the draw to win a trip for two to New Zealand.
- Kiwi's are loaded with fiber and are known to be a natural digestive aid. Step aside prunes, kiwi's offer better relief for bloating and blocked up bowels.
- Kiwi's pack TWICE the amount of vitamin C as compared to oranges.
- Think of kiwi's as being on top of the food chain when it comes to nutrients. Kiwifruit consistently rank at the top of fruit in nutrition density models which tell us exactly how nutritious food is. That means you get more vitamins and minerals per gram, and per calorie, of kiwifruit than most other fruit.
- Due to their high amount of natural antioxidants, kiwi fruits help to boost collagen production which may reduce the appearance of ageing (*note: do not attempt to smother your face with kiwi pulp hoping it will reduce lines and wrinkles, you'll just end up with a sticky, yet yummy mess)
- Eating two kiwi's a day has been proven to reduce the amount of oxidative damage to your cells and improve the repair of damaged Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) cause by oxidative stress.
- Kiwi's contain the highest amount of lutein in fruits which can help to prevent age related deterioration of eye-sight.
You may be thinking 2 weeks of kiwi, that might get a bit monotonous? I sat down before I started the challenge and made a list so each day I incorporated kiwi's into my diet in a new way. Here's some options to help you get started:
Malibu Rum Glazed Kiwi & Coconut Cake (click here for recipe)
Kiwi, Lime, & Mint Sorbet with Raspberry Sauce in a Cookie Cup (click here for recipe)
Kiwi & Peach Smoothie (see recipe below)
Frozen Kiwi Pops with Passion Fruit & Yogurt (see recipe below)
Whole grain waffles topped with kiwi, banana, and honey:
Yogurt topped with kiwi and dry cereal
White Chocolate, Kiwi & Mixed Berry Cobbler
For the filling:
Frozen Kiwi Pops with Passion Fruit & Yogurt