Jan 20, 2012

Extra Curricular Activities - Oreo Truffles

 
Your diet is going to hate this one.  Like REALLY hate it.  But we're not here to talk calories, we're here to discuss OREO'S. 

I came across this recipe at about 4am one night when I couldn't sleep.  We don't have infomercials over here, so what else to do?

This recipe can be thrown together in a snap yet it tastes and looks like you spent hours in the kitchen.  Just don't tell anybody…it's our little secret.  I usually stray away from those 5-ingredient recipes.  I am such a skeptic.  How can something made from so few ingredients taste any good?  No, I much prefer to make a mess in the kitchen and pull out every last ingredient, bowl, strainer, spoon I have.  BUT, after reading all the rave reviews this recipe received I thought, oh why the heck not.  At least it would be cheap to make, it only has 3 ingredients…can't beat that. 

And I must say those 3 key ingredients are all you need here.  Prepare for pure decadence biting into the hard candy shell then sinking your teeth into the velvety, smooth center.  It's a happy little ball of heaven...the Oreo kind anyway.  

Ingredients

1 - 18 oz package Oreo Cookies - NOTE: I actually had to Google 'how many Oreos are in an 18 oz package' because they are sold differently in the middle east than in the states.  Can you flippin' believe I found the answer?  It's 45.  The internet is one smart cookie. 
 
1 – 8oz container cream cheese (I suggest NOT to use the reduced fat here, it's a bit softer than the original and may not hold up as well)
4 oz white chocolate bark – NOTE: I found this wasn't enough to coat all the truffles so I used half a bag of chocolate chips and a Lindt chocolate bar I found hiding away in the pantry…but then that was TOO much chocolate and I had quite a bit left over so I ended up coating a couple of extra Oreo's.  Be friendly and give them to your neighbor. 
Directions
     
Count out your Oreo's. 1, 2, 3....45 (or just open your 18 oz package if you found one).



Add Oreos to food processor (no need to break them) and blend until fine.




Add cream cheese to oreo crumbles.


Continue to blend until the mixture starts to pull together and form a dough.



Chill mixture in the fridge for 15 minutes then roll into bite-size truffles.  Place on cookie sheet.


Place cookie sheet with truffles in the fridge and chill until very firm.  This is important so the truffles won't lose their shape when covering with the melted chocolate.   

Melt almond bark in microwave according to package directions.  If you're not using bark but rather chocolate chips, microwave in a glass bowl for 30 seconds.  Stir.  Microwave again for 10 seconds and stir again.  Repeat steps until chocolate is smooth and every last chip is melted.   

Dip chilled truffles in melted chocolate using a fork so the chocolate can drip off and set onto waxed paper.  Make sure to really let the chocolate drip otherwise you'll get a 'puddle' around the truffle once it's set.  Sprinkle with crumbled Oreo cookie or using a fork drizzle chocolate on top to give a finished look.  I used semi-sweet chocolate on the white chocolate to give a nice contrast.   Let sit about an hour to firm up.  Try not to eat them all before you show them off to your friends. 

Enjoy!



Recipe adapted from Just A Pinch

2 comments:

  1. looks yummy, I'm saving this one!!

    Gina Black

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina....why did you do this to me? i just have started my diet...i mean...i am trying to start....but after you brought this oreo cake 2 days back...NO COMMENTS!!! F...ck the diet!!!!!

    ReplyDelete