Apr 22, 2013

2nd Birthday Treats!

If you're a follower of my blog, you may have noticed I have been MIA...I have a very decent alibi...I'm pregnant!

I had a nasty month of morning sickness (hah! what man invented that phrase, it's been all-day long sickness, thank you very much) that sentenced me to lots of downtime with little desire to bake...or even get out of bed for that matter.

But I'm back, and I'm hungry.

Before I get back into the kitchen I want to share a few treats with you that I made for my son's 2nd birthday last week.  There was no way I was going to let his special day go by without making one hell of a birthday cake, regardless of how I felt.

As you may know I pride myself on always sharing with you step-by-step photos of my creations, but I'm sorry lovely readers I just didn't have the energy with these ones to post photos along the way (except for the White Trash Monster Mix...that was pretty painless to throw together).  However thankfully I borrowed the recipes from two other amazing mom's and food bloggers who have excellent photos to show you how to get there.

Lemony Funfetti Cake with Vanilla Bean Buttercream

(covered with Smarties that I just could not get to angle properly...I should have just said I let my son decorate it!!!)
 


Lemony Funfetti Cupcakes (same recipe as the cake) with Marshmallow Buttercream


White Trash Monster Mix (shown lower left)
 
 
 
 
Ingredients
 
3 1/2 cups Cheerios
6 cups Chocolate Chex cereal (or any combination of your favorite Chex flavors)
16 ounces Plain M&M's
2 cups mini marshmallows
2 cups pretzels, broken into bite sized pieces
2 (11 ounce) packages white chocolate chips *(I used 2 white chocolate bars since I only had one bag of chips)
 
Directions
 
 
Find the largest bowl you have. Like a HUGE one. Mix all of the ingredients together, except for the white chocolate.  

 
Divide the mixture onto cookie sheets lined with waxed paper.  

 

Melt the white chocolate in the microwave or in a double broiler until smooth and no lumps remain. Melt slowly and stir often to avoid burning. Divide the white chocolate among the three pans, simply pour over and eye-ball the amount for each. 

 

 I used two spatulas, one in each hand to coat the cereal/candy mixture.

 
Allow to sit at room temperature until the chocolate has solidified again.  Break into pieces and try not to each the entire batch.  This stuff is deadly addictive.  A word of caution however, I stored mine in large zip-lock bags and I found on the second day it was starting to get soft.  Try storing in an air-tight container if you're not eating this right away.  Which is almost next to impossible.
 
I found myself nibbling on this in the mornings...I mean it's cereal, so it's okay. 
 
Recipe Links:
 
Lemony Funfetti Cake (and cupcakes) from Baked Bree
 
Vanilla Bean Buttercream from Glorious Treats
 
Marshmallow Buttercream also from Baked Bree
 
White Trash Monster Mix adapted from Alton Brown 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment