Apr 19, 2014

Cakey Snickerdoodles

 


For all the baking I've done over the years this is the first time I've made Snickerdoodles.   I think the whole sugar-cinnamon combo threw me off initially.  I mean, it's so...vanilla (my way of describing something somewhat dull in the flavor department, lackluster, blah, been there, done that).  In a world of salted caramel, espresso buttercream, trifles-galore, why spend your energy on baking something who's main ingredients are cinnamon and sugar.  Snore City....at least this is what I thought before.  And now, I'm a born-again sugar/cinna snob. These are spectacular.  I simply cannot say that word without thinking of this scene from Seinfeld, am I right?


I'm usually not a simplicity-is-key kind of girl when it comes to my desserts, but this one really takes the cake.  Or, the cookie for that matter.  Typically Snickerdoodles are slightly dense and chewy, but this version is soft and pillowy.  They've got a cake-like texture inside and a sugary-crisp outside, truly a winner all around.  And how easy are they?  Oh let me tell ya you can throw these together in a snap.  I had them prepared AND baked in just over an hour. 

Cakey Snickerdoodles
makes about 6 dozen
printable version

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter-flavored Crisco
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons colored sugar (can be divided equally if you want two different colors)

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Combine1 1⁄2 cups sugar, Crisco, eggs, milk and vanilla in large bowl. Beat with electric mixer at medium speed until well blended.



Whisk the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in medium bowl. Add gradually to shortening mixture at low speed. Mix just until blended.



Combine the 3 tablespoons granulated sugar with the 3 tablespoons colored sugar and mix until well combined (I used two colors and simply halved the quantities). Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.




Bake 7 to 8 minutes. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheets. Place on cooling racks to cool completely.
 
Recipe courtesy of Crisco

No comments:

Post a Comment